Staying focused can be challenging
Why is it that writing seems the most difficult out of the 4 skills of communication: listening, speaking, reading, and writing? And, as a student, you are often stuck when trying to complete an assignment on time. You must have come here to try and find some answers as to why you are unable to complete the high-quality essays you need as part of your assessment or for professional purposes. If so, you must realize, that the most important a pre-requisite to writing fine essays is: Focus. Without focus, there is every chance that your essay would be unstructured, lacking coherence, and clarity. For others who are looking to order their essays- our custom essay writing service could come in handy.
But achieving the required focus to complete the desired task can be a challenge due to many reasons. And yet it is essential; high-quality work can only come out of sustained periods of concentration and focus. Let us check out some ways to increase focus so that you can produce good quality essays.
Staying focused can be challenging
There are plenty of distractions in and around us. We have our own internal doubts and thoughts to manage. We are also surrounded by people and events that add to the chaos and disturbances, making it difficult to concentrate on writing our essays. The constant chatter may interfere with this process. If this is so, how can we develop and maintain focus?
The focus is on centering yourself!
The main point of staying focused is to be centered. The beginning of focus is the very intention to write. So, when you sit down to write and prepare your mind for this action, you have already started working on getting focused. The key thing at this point in time is to retain this state of beginning attention, maintain and enhance it to sustained levels of prolonged concentration. The best way to attain and maintain this centering in oneself is to read the question/title of the assignment again and again until you have completely understood what has to be done. It is easier to get this concentration if you break up the question into bits and go at them one by one. This type of analysis of the question will help your subconscious mind to already start planning on the ways to go about answering it. Consequently, the focus will be now on the task to be done. Mindfulness is a concept that is practiced even in corporations to increase focus on the work-in-hand. This requires one to concentrate only on the task at hand and not worry about how it would end. This naturally leads one to the next level in writing as explained next.
Attain the state of “flow”
Sustained concentration leads to quality work and essays. A sustained concentration requires the attainment of what psychologists call a state of flow.
This is the highest level of concentration that a person can achieve.
The person is mentally and physically immersed in the creative work- he is fully engaged.
You can visualize all the ideas you want to incorporate into your essay and you can produce a quality piece of work.
This state of flow requires that you have to be entirely and fully be with yourself when doing the task.
The feeling this state creates is similar to that created when a person engages in meditation or swimming or other such activities that require total immersion of mind and body.
To attain this state of flow, here are some suggestions which can help you defeat those distractions which tend to distort your focus.
- Do not pay attention to the distractions. When you are trying to do work, many thoughts may come in and go out. Stop paying attention to these distracting thoughts. Let them enter and exit at their own pace. You cannot control your mental wanderings. The best way to do your work is to be comfortable with the fact that distractions and wanderings are natural.
- Take breaks between long periods of sustained productive concentrated work. The brain will be happier. It will also give time to the brain to process the information and probably come up with better ways of using it. Alternating physical and mental work helps in relieving the stress on both. When the mind is tired, do some physical activity and vice versa.
- A shift or change in location can also help to improve your concentration and the ability to do sustained work.
- Organize the work required for your essay and chunk it. This helps better concentration and efficiency.
- There are some things that your brain will do almost automatically such as picking sentences, structure, and some kind of words, while you may have to focus on certain aspects in a conscious manner such as the kind of content and purpose. Do this and see your concentration improve and your essay shape up in a much better way.
- For the time being, forget about what the essay/assignment should fetch you in terms of grades or commendations, and instead concentrate on writing the sentences as they flow out from your mind. Remember there is always an opportunity, when writing assignments, to review your work thoroughly and iron out any disconnects. An exam or a test does not give you as much time or chances to edit your work satisfactorily. So, read the question anew and read through your work with detachment – as someone else has written it, and this will give you a chance to refocus on the writing.
- It can help if you read the paper aloud while trying to edit it. This involves all your communication skills of reading, speaking, and listening, and helps you to find out your shortfalls easier.
However, there are times when concentration and focus are just impossible to achieve when there are so many distractions in college life. That is the reason you should use the services of a good assignment writing service, whose writers are trained to focus on the writing task and can help you earn good grades.