Essays Writing Help: The 7 Different Genre of Essays You Didn’t Know About
There are many kinds of essays the students have to confront throughout their academic life from school to university. Each of the essays differs in the rules, formats, and methods of conveying the message. Following are the distinct categories of essays with its tips and format:
A well-crafted narrative essay is basically the expressions of real-life experiences that are lodged in the writer’s memory. The essay writers can involve the reader in the story using evocative techniques which include sensory details.
The details must develop a dominant impression on the readers. A conversational tone that is the first person is used in this genre that inevitably engages the readers by making them a part of the story.
Narrative essays are also similar to memoirs. These are some general principles which should be looked upon while writing a narrative essay:
- The narrative essay should also have a viewpoint similar to the thesis statement of expository essays.
- The essay planning has conventions of storytelling which include plot development, characterization, settings, descriptive details that embellish the story, dialogues, climax, and end.
- Excessive details must not be mentioned.
- The uses of vivid verbs and modifiers will result in an effective essay.
A descriptive essay is similar to a narrative essay as it is also a piece of creative writing and includes the sensory details too. It might be a description of an object, person, place, or significant memory but with artistic freedom.
It strives to communicate a deeper understanding of the topic through vivid details.
A descriptive essay focuses on showing rather than telling, through the tiny details such as colorful words. A highly evocative descriptive essay creates an image in the reader’s mind. Some tips for an efficacious descriptive essay are:
- Emotions and feeling have a vital role in a descriptive essay which associates the reader and writer.
- The sensory details should be related to all the senses such as sound, smell, touch, and taste not just the sense of sight.
- The essay must be well-organized in the course of describing the different aspects of the main subject.
An expository essay is an informative kind of essay written which involves the elucidation of a short idea or theme to the intended audience. It is a personal response regarding major concerns with balanced analysis towards a political debate, world event, and much more. Some tips for a productive essay are as follows:
- The essay should be concise.
- The repetition and over-stating must be avoided.
- It is not based on personal feelings so the writer should avoid revealing the emotions or writing in the first person.
- The transition words assist the reader in following along and reinforcing the logic.
- The distinct format of expository essays is as follows: The clear and well-defined thesis statement is written in the first paragraph. It is supported throughout the essay. The supporting paragraphs should have a distinct controlling topic with its succinct explanation supported with evidence and facts. All the other paragraphs must be related to the thesis statement and themselves factually. The conclusion paragraph must not introduce new material rather relate to the original thesis with the main supporting ideas.
In a persuasive essay, the writer’s goal is to convince the reader to adopt his opinion or recommendation by presenting his rationale in the essay. The persuasive essay has a definite viewpoint. It engages the reader through sound reasoning backed up with concrete evidence such as facts, examples, and experts’ opinions which require solid research. Some tips for an effective persuasive essay are:
- The writer must be able to communicate his stance clearly without equivocation.
- The writer can persuade the reader with emotions but not too much.
- The format is similar to the expository essay as it also includes the thesis statement. The topic must be carefully researched using legitimate sources. The thesis chosen must have two debatable sides. During the counter-attack, the writer should also have a thorough understanding of the opposite viewpoint. The argument must be supported with convincing facts from reliable sources with appropriate citations, quotes from leading experts, and examples that make the idea concrete.
In this genre of the essay the event, book, play are analyzed, examined, and then interpreted. The analytical essay is informative. It focuses on literary work rather than the viewpoint and emotions of the writer. The information is integrated with the explicit and pertinent pieces of evidence drawn often from the text itself to make the audience find it credible. Some tips for an efficacious essay are:
- The evidence must be properly cited.
- The title should be created by the writer itself.
- The essays are normally written in the present tense.
- The analytical essay naturally employs objective and serious but it can be humorous.
- The light must be focused upon a particular aspect of work in an organized manner.
- The writer critically evaluates the work including its weaknesses, strengths, and techniques, then explores it and discusses his findings.
- The writer must avoid making mechanical and stylistic errors. The use of slang or colloquial language, contractions, and first-person must be avoided.
An argumentative essay is a piece of writing in which the writer tries to convince the reader through logical reasoning and evidence that his assertion about an issue is correct. It seems similar to persuasive but in it, the writer argues to prove his viewpoint. The writer must make sure that he validates his opinion cogently. The tips to make an argumentative essay stand out are as follows:
- Using good transition words will bring flow in writing.
- The essay is focused on the pros and cons.
- The argument must have a focused approach about the assertion and it should be relevant to the topic.
- The argument is supported by facts, examples, and evidence to convince the reader.
- The stance taken by the writer can be presented succinctly in the first place, and then the counter-arguments followed by rebuttal with strong evidence.
- A lot of research is necessary for this type of essay. The addition of cognitive facts to support the argument will inevitably make the essay stand out.
- In the classification essay, the ideas are organized into specific categories and then discussed by giving examples. There are four steps involved in effective classification:
- Thesis statement: The thesis statement of this genre normally involves the topic, its classification, and sometimes the named categories.
- Sorting of the categories: The critical categories must be looked upon during a thorough search. At the same time, the writer must avoid too many categories because it will make the classification vague.
- The categories should follow the organizing principle of sorting the groups. A distinct principle must not pop out unexpectedly.
- Supporting the categories with examples. The imperative category is usually reserved for the last therefore it may require more elaboration and examples.
- Each and every essay requires the application of editing and proofreading to it. It is done to ensure that any errors are not committed while reasoning and any fallacies are not integrated which might result in criticism. A plagiarized essay might lead to severe consequences.